Saturday, January 15, 2011

R.I.P. Trish Keenan

One of my heroes passed away yesterday morning.  Trish Keenan of Broadcast died at 9 AM on Friday from complications related to pneumonia.  Broadcast are/were one of my very, very favorite groups. To say that their body of work (including album covers) had a profound influence on my art practice during my mid-twenties would be an understatement. I only got to see them live once, and it was a revelatory show... and then we were too broke or busy or tired to see them in Portland when they played last fall. Missed opportunities. So sad--she was only 42.  It is impossible to overstate just how much I cherish the music she left behind.  The extent to which experimental pop is indebted to Broadcast is mind-boggling (Beach House or Atlas Sound anyone?).  So, Peace and Respect, Trish.  Thank you for everything.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment